1 the shape of a raised edge of a more or less circular object
2 (basketball) the hoop from which the net is suspended; "the ball hit the rim and bounced off"
3 the outer part of a wheel to which the tire is attached
4 a projection used for strength or for attaching to another object [syn: flange]
1 run around the rim of; "Sugar rimmed the dessert plate"
2 furnish with a rim; "rim a hat"
- Rhymes: -ɪm
- An edge around something, especially when circular.
- Danish: rand, indfatning (for any shape), fælg (only for wheels)
- Finnish: reuna (erit. pyöreän esineen)
- French: bord italbrac for any shape ; jante italbrac only for wheels
- German: Rand , Kante , Felge i of a wheel
- Interlingua: bordo, orlo
- Italian: orlo
- Portuguese: borda
- Serbian: rub, ivica, obod, naplatak (of wheel) , gobela (of wheel)
- Spanish: borde , canto ; italbrac rim of a wheel aro , llanta , rin
- to lick the anus of a partner as part of the sexual act.
EtymologyFrom Germanic. Cognate with Old Frisian rīm, Old High German rīm.
- a number
- Rim miclade monna mægþe geond middan-geard — Cædmon’s Metrical Paraphrase
Nounrim (plural: rins)
- a rhyme
Rim may refer to:
- Rim (coin), the sharp circular (or otherwise shaped) edge which surrounds the coin design
- Rim (craters), the part of a crater that extends above the height of the local surface
- Rim (firearms), a projection machined into the bottom of a firearms cartridge
- Rim (novel), by Alexander Besher
- Rim, the inner part of a wheel on which the tire is mounted.
- Rim of the World High School (RHS), a high school in Lake Arrowhead, California
- Rimming, or rimjob, a term for anal-oral sex
RIM may stand for:
- Responsible Information Management
- Revolutionary Internationalist Movement, an international Maoist organization
- Residual Income Method, a company valuation model in Corporate Finance
- Reaction Injection Molding, a type of processing for network polymers
- Remote Integrated Multiplexer, the Telstra term for a digital loop carrier
rim in German: RIM
rim in Esperanto: RIM
rim in French: RIM
rim in Italian: RIM
rim in Kölsch: RIM (Watt ėßß datt?)
rim in Slovenian: RIM
rim in Swedish: RIM
adjoin, balloon tire, bank, befringe, belted bias tire, belted radial tire, bias tire, bind, board, border, bordure, bound, brim, brink, brow, coast, edge, enframe, featheredge, felly, flange, frame, fringe, hem, labellum, labium, labrum, lap, ledge, limb, limbus, line, lip, list, march, marge, margin, marginate, nonskid tire, outline, perimeter, periphery, pneumatic tire, purfle, purl, radial tire, ragged edge, retread, retreaded tire, safety tire, selvage, set off, shore, side, sideline, skirt, snow tire, studded tire, tire, trim, tubeless tire, verge, white sidewall tire, winter tire